Wednesday 17 May 2017

A Delicious Salad


After having dinner at Red Kettle with my partner, I returned for lunch on my own. Well, after eating noodles and more noodles at Mr Fish and Go Noodles, I put on a lot of weight 😔 Yah, serves me right.

So I have to eat less carbs to balance it out. I was very attracted to the Siam Grilled Pork and Mango Salad, so I got that for my first solo visit.


It was quite a good portion I must say. Good for a main meal or sharing if you are small eater.

I was curious about the white sprinkles and it turned out to be toasted rice (I guessed, I read about it somewhere). I'm afraid I did not like it because it was very hard and gravelly.


There were loads of shredded green mango which I appreciated. However, I did not like the dressing. The chili lime dressing tasted strange to me, very unlike fresh lime. 

The salad was tart (which is fine with me) and salty (but not overtly so) and it would have benefited with some sweetness.

On another day, I revisited the Kettle Salad with addition of grilled chicken for some protein.


The grilled chicken turned out to be fried chicken. No complaints from me because I would have fried chicken over grilled chicken anytime. 

There was also a generous sprinkling of toasted walnuts and cranberries which made this salad even more enjoyable.


And the lava egg was splendid! The dressing had a very good balance of sweet, sour and salty and this has to be the best salad I have eaten at a restaurant.


Right now, I'll have to say Red Kettle is my favorite at The Starling. I'll be back for more, that's for sure!

30 comments:

  1. I will visit Red Kettle soon as I trust your taste.
    Krup Krap Krup Krap...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Red Kettle is yr favourite place PH..mesti suit to yr taste rite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lina. PH suka sangat hee..hee..

      Delete
  3. I think I prefer the salad with walnuts and cranberries rather than the one with the hard and gravelly white bits. Oh dear, thanks for the warning, I am eating noodles for nearly every meals so I must watch my weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you are not fat like me hee..hee..

      Delete
  4. kettle salad with me ... with extra egg! :) you and i can both join the same club - the currently-gaining-weight club! sadly it's a club that i'm sure we would prefer to leave :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, glad to have you as a fellow member wahahaha! Yes, an extra egg is a good idea :)

      Delete
  5. Anytime nicer than the one I had, today's post - no quail egg and when I asked, I got a chicken egg. So pissed off the way some of those people here do business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read your post early this morning. I found it unacceptable too.

      Delete
  6. I pun suka gak salad salad ni. Tp salad yg ada protien mcm tulah hihi.... Tak payah makan nasi pun ok...
    Agaknya kalau makan macam tu, berapa lama boleh kurus yeh LL? Hihi....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...LL belum kurus lagi lah, Hainom hah..hah... Salad yang ada protein lagi bagus, kalau tidak, cepat lapar.

      Delete
  7. I will go for the one with grilled chicken

    ReplyDelete
  8. IDr said I needed to lose weight so I am mostly on pulses and whole grains and white meat diet, salads mostly. Lost 8kg in 2 months. Needs getting used to but it gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 8kg in 2 months is very impressive!

      Delete
  9. I think you're equally capable of putting out a good tasting chicken salad that looks like that Kettle Salad! ^_* So, what kind of dressing was it to elicit you to say that this could be the best salad you've ever eaten? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you to say so hee..hee.... I believe that dressing is either red wine vinegar or sour cherry vinegar.

      Delete
  10. I believe you can cook yourself the same tasty chicken salad as in Kettle Salad too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yannie! I will attempt to copycat one day :D

      Delete
  11. Toasted rice?? I think toasted sesame suits it more.

    I like your kettle salad. And yes that egg is tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have 2 eggs next time hee..hee...

      Delete
  12. I can eat these everyday because they look so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also prefer the salad with grilled chicken, yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like my salads with proteins.

      Delete
  14. If I have to eat salad with grilled/fried chicken, I will finish the chicken and pass the rest to my husband ^_^

    I thought this entry is about you did some salad recipes so that I can copy & paste and do it for my husband. Alas, you didn't. So I m not going to do salad for him tonight. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you don't like sayur, right? hah..hah.. Salad so easy. Can but the ready packed ones and just put in a bowl and toss with ready made dressing. Kautim!

      Delete