Tuesday 23 May 2017

Ayam Kicap (Soya Sauce Chicken)


What to cook? What to cook? Sometimes that happens even though I have almost 100 cookbooks and printed 5 folders of recipes from my fellow bloggers. Hah!

So why does that happen? I look at a recipe and then I go, bah! too complicated. Then I move to the next one. Aiyo, got to deep fry the chicken. Lazy lah. Next. Aiyah, no lemongrass. Next. Adoi, got to pound rempah. And this goes on and on and on.


Then I settled on Kak Liza's recipe for Ayam Kicap from her book Senangnya Memasak Ayam. Why was this so appealing? Well, no need to deep fry the chicken, no need to pound any ingredients.

And the seasoning? Just kicap pekat (thick soya sauce) and tomato ketchup. Orait, settle!


Well, the simplicity was deceiving. Why? Because it tasted bland. Why? Because there were issues with the recipe, attributed to poor editing on the part of the publisher. I'm guessing the editor is someone who does not cook or wasn't paying attention.


Well, I should have known better. Taste, taste, taste! Depending on your brand of thick soya sauce, you may have to add some salt or light soya sauce for more flavor. See, I am not that good in cooking after all๐Ÿ˜

Ayam Kicap (Soya Sauce Chicken)
Recipe source : Adapted from Senangnya Memasak Ayam by Chef Hanieliza (page 41)

Ingredients :
- 1 chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces

- 1 big onion, sliced
- 2 red chilies, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 thin piece of ginger, sliced

- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- some spring onions

-  a bit of water
- 3 tbsp thick soya sauce (taste! if not salty enough, add salt or light soya sauce)
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup

Method :
1. Heat oil in pan and saute sliced onion, chilies, garlic and ginger until aromatic and wilted.
2. Add chicken and stir fry until chicken changes color.
3. Add thick soya sauce, tomato ketchup and some water.
4. Stir to mix and simmer until chicken is cooked.
5. Add sliced tomatoes and spring onions. Give a quick stir and dish out to serve.

46 comments:

  1. Hi PH, Ayam Kicap ni mmg menjadi kesukaan anak2 kan?mak pun tumpang sekali la.Berkilat merelip2 Ayam Kicap PH tu hihi..sedap.Boleh cuba buat untuk buka bulan puasa nanti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lina! Terlebih minyak kot, sebab tu kilat2 hee..hee... PH suka masakan yang ada kicap. Lagi hitam, lagi sedap!

      Delete
  2. Your ayam kicap dish looks delicious and the colour also very nice. I need to try adding tomato sauce next time...heheheh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice after I adjusted the seasoning. Can't trust recipes 100% hee..hee...

      Delete
  3. Wowwww!!! There's onion, garlic, ginger! Bursting with flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. at least you are diligent enough to cook. i would rather chew on plain wholemeal bread than cook. chicken no taste? add light soy sauce la, hehehe. but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did that hee..hee.. tasted better after that.

      Delete
  5. It does look simple. I want to try this recipe.

    I am also super lazy to go through long and troublesome recipe sometime. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very simple, just ensure seasoning is right or else no taste hee..hee..

      Delete
  6. If I cook, must be simple as I am lazy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea right, i also malas nk try recipe yg complicated tuh, i just nk masak yg paling senang but delicious, mwehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PH pun sama gak. Bila mood malas, nak yang pakat lebur2 gitu.

      Delete
  8. Not tasty? But it does look good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After adding more seasoning it tasted so much better.

      Delete
  9. Senangnya Memasak Ayam ... i like the name of that book ... it's very encouraging, especially for folks like me who might be intimidated by cooking :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it makes cooking sound easier hee..hee..

      Delete
  10. Hi Phong Hong,
    This Ayam Kicap looks tasty and definitely goes well with steamed rice. Sometimes when I'm in a dilemma stage "dunno what to cook" I just fried some eggs and drizzle with black soya sauce. ... "kao dim" a "dish"! hee... hee ! Lazy me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Actually I find fried eggs with soya sauce very delicious hee..hee...

      Delete
  11. Another added page to my chicken recipe too! Never tried cooking it this way before, sounds good, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good! Nice with plain rice and lots of the chap :)

      Delete
  12. I hear you!!! I was looking in the freezer and pulled out some chicken for tomorrow. I was totally uninspired! If I can't grill it tomorrow, I may try a version of your yummy soy sauce chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope it works out for you :)

      Delete
  13. It looked so appetizing and sounded so easy to cook. Ok then, I must bookmark this for my future attempt. Thanks, Phong Hong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. boleh guna resepi ni during puasa time

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got me excited by this 3-ingredient chicken dish...you know me, I like simple cooking. And then I reached the part where you said it tasted bland....haiz! :'( That goes to show not all recipes we get online or from cookbooks will be a success! >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, it is good. Just that you need to taste and adjust for seasoning which I failed to do.

      Delete
  16. yayy situasi ini biasa bagi yang nak memasak..fikir punya fikir..aduss fikir menu nak masak lagi susah dari buat soklan addmath..huhuh

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sometimes feel similar, but with "What to wear? What to wear?" even though I have more than enough clothes in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I am not much into clothes and I hardly go out. So that is not a problem :)

      Delete
  18. Yeah! That's what I feel. This cannot do, that also cannot though you have thousands folders staring at you ^_^ At the end, cook a simple menu. Done!

    But your ayam kicap looks tasty and the colour also nice, PH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MD. I always end up cooking the same old things because it's easy and I am used to it.

      Delete
  19. Simple but tasty right?

    I learned a lot about cooking from the internet, blog especially sebab easier to understand the methods/ingredients used added with the first hand experience from the blogger who would write about the dos and don't, how to make adjustments etc just like you do :)

    Will try this recipe for bulan puasa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right :) I also learnt quite a bit from other bloggers.

      Delete
  20. I just need to cook rice and eat with your delicious ayam dish! You have even more cook books than Chef Wan or Agnes Chang could write!! I believe you can cook wonders on par with them. Someday I will compile all your blog's cooking posts into a proper cook book and sell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't praise me until so sky high lah... No need lah, nanti nobody buy the book hah..hah...

      Delete
  21. Hi Phong Hong, your ayam kicap look very good. Some simple dish if the taste is right it can be very appetizing too. Happy cooking.

    Have a nice day, regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amelia! I like my cooking simple.

      Delete
  22. When I read your second paragraph, I feel like "Is that me you are referring to?", because I'm the exactly like that too! But I don't have 100 cook books lah (20-30 maybe?), haha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hihi.... mcm biasa je dengar soklan soklan mcm tu. Lastly makan luar haha....
    Uhhhh...tempting sangat tu. Berkilat, melekat weyh....ayam tu kelihatan pejal dan masak sempurna.

    Macam chef tak kita komen? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hainom, paling best makan kat kedai aje lah kan. Tak payah basuh periuk, pinggan bagai. Berkilat dan melekat? hee..hee...

      Delete