Thursday 8 June 2017

Pa's Favorite Cake


You know, I never liked Butter Cake until I tasted this one. The very famous Mrs SK Ng Butter Cake. It is light, fluffy and buttery.

I tried it many years ago and have never looked back. It's my all time go-to recipe for Butter Cake. In fact I have this recipe committed to memory - 200g flour, 250g butter, 160g sugar and 4 eggs.


My dad loves Butter Cake and since my parents are visiting soon, I did a trial run on this cake. I haven't baked it in a while and I wanted to make sure that I nail it when I bake it for my parents.


This cake uses the egg separation method, a method which I dreaded when I first started baking. I sucked at separating eggs.

My pet peeve was the egg shell poking the yolks. Imagine separating 3 eggs successfully and then the yolk bleeds when you separate the 4th egg. Arrrgghhh!!!!

So I used to break an egg into a bowl and then pour it into an egg separator. And you know what? It is not foolproof because I have experienced having the whole yolk slip through the slit and then puncturing into the whites. Sigh...

Well, those days are over. Over! I can now separate eggs with ease. Yeah, took me 5 years to get it right.

Another thing I used to do - beat the butter/sugar/eggs first and then wash the beater before beating the egg whites. That was until I bought a second cake mixer and had a spare beater to do the job.

Again, 5 years later, I wised up. Beat the egg whites first, then go beat the butter. I did not do this initially because I was fearful that the beaten egg whites would deflate while I was working on the butter. Nah...this does not happen. The egg whites are fine while standing.


Anyone who loves Butter Cake and has yet to find the ideal Butter Cake, look no further. Bake this one. I insist!

Best Butter Cake
Recipe source : First baked here

Ingredients :
Mixture A :
- 200g self-raising flour, sifted
- 250g butter (I use Golden Churn)
- 80g caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

Mixture B :
- 4 egg white
- 80g caster sugar

Method
1. Make mixture B first (to save you having to wash your beaters).
2. Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks. Set aside.
3. Make Mixture A.
4. Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
5. Add vanilla extract and egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Fold in flour in 3 additions (I used a spatula to do this) until well incorporated.
7. Take 1/3 of the beaten egg white and fold into the butter.flour mixture.
8. Then fold in the rest of the egg white until combined (you don't see any more white streaks).
9. Pour batter into a lined and greased 8" pan and bake at 160C for 50 minutes or until skewer inserted into center of the cake comes out clean.

Note : I baked this cake on the lowest rack of the oven.

35 comments:

  1. I love butter cake for that simple buttery fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too! Must use good quality butter for that.

      Delete
  2. This cake looks so wonderful! I think it would taste simply delicious too! I believe your father would be very pleased to eat the butter cake that you are going to bake for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My Pa enjoys his butter cake but my mum tries to limit him hee..hee...

      Delete
  3. nice to have it with a cup of hot kopi

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be my favourite too. Yet to try baking the gluten-free one - check out my blogpost tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already checked this morning hee..hee... Interesting. I have seen those gluten-free cake mixes. Yet to try them. I am quite curious about the taste and texture.

      Delete
  5. butter cakes remind me of childhood and of home ... i love the vibrant colour of your cake - and the texture looks like the perfect balance between fluffy and dense :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the cake of our childhood as that time, there were not many variety of cakes as compared to today. You are right about the texture, perfect balance of fluffy and dense :)

      Delete
  6. Such precise measurement. I must try your recipe.

    I started to love butter cake after I know my hubby. He loves butter cake. I myself used to enjoy butter buns as kids and still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it and surprise your hubby with a yummy butter cake.

      Delete
  7. There's nothing better than a simple butter cake done well. If I want to bake a butter cake, I know which recipe to use but I don't even have one cake mixer or a handheld mixer, how to bake....haiz! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...you could use your arm muscles to beat up the egg whites with a hand whisk hee..hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. Wah, too many step I think, don't want lah, beli sajalah kalo ai rasa nk makan, hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..beli lagi senang. Tak payah basuh mixer :D

      Delete
  9. Yes, this butter cake is delicious. My sis made this before and it was enjoyed by everyone. Your dad is going to be very happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only butter cake recipe that I would use, it's that good!

      Delete
  10. Hi Phong Hong,
    I'm with you that this Mrs SK Ng butter is the best butter. Love the fluffy light texture yet buttery fragrance. I've baked a few times and sometimes dual flavor with cocoa. Great cake for your dad !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Yes, it is everyone's favorite butter cake. Unbeatable!

      Delete
  11. Your dad would be very happy you bake him his favourite butter cake, right uncle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall reply on behalf of my dad : Yes, Libby. I would be very happy and eat two pieces :)

      Delete
  12. Awww! What a sweet and loving daughter to have a trial baking butter cake for your dad!

    I am shocked that a diva chef like you just mastered in separating the egg whites & yolks at this age! Thanks to my mama who always baked hundreds of cakes and trained me when I was in primary school.

    #PengsanMePH&Eggs #BaruPass5years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wahahahaha!!! You are funny lah. Your hashtags always have me rolling on the floor, OK? So, I should be so shy that Mr TM learnt to separate eggs since sekolah rendah. I say!

      Delete
  13. I love butter cake too. Maybe I will try to bake this cake. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please bake using this recipe. You will not regret it!

      Delete
  14. I love butter cake dipped in sunquick orange juice..pelik to other people but i love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very pelik hah..hah.. But as long as you love it, so what, right?

      Delete
  15. Patutlah jadi fluffy kek ni LL sebab telur tu asing. Mcm kita buat pavlovalah kan...

    Sesekali sedap jugakkan makan kek mcm ni. Tp kena asing asing telur tu yg terus lemak nak try haha....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betul tu, Hainom. LL pun malas nak asingkan telur. Nak buat kek ni, kena rajin2 sket.

      Delete