Thursday 28 September 2017

It's My Freakin Birthday!


So, I turned 50 recently. Fifty! 50! Lima puluh! Goh chap! Gawd... Is that old or what?

When my partner turned 50 (ten years ago), he gleefully told me "I am officially an Ah Pek now". See how gracefully the man accepted his age. I am not about to declare that I am now officially an Ah Chim. Nope.

I have no hang ups about my age, really. Most of the time, I don't even think about it. When I have to disclose my age (like when filling up forms), I actually have to deduct the year of my birth with the present year because I honestly cannot remember how old I am. 

My brother sent me that cute caption above and it made me laugh. I don't know about the "looks 30" but I feel 15 and yes, sometimes I act 2. My partner can attest to that.

Early in the morning (at the ungodly hour of 4:25 am) I received birthday wishes from my beloved auntie. Later in the office, my mum and dad called. That was really sweet of them.

I also received a lovely birthday card from my parents. It arrived a day earlier and moved me to tears. Yeah, you may be 50, but you are still their little girl.


And since it is my birthday, I can eat whatever I want. Yeah! Surely you don't expect me to eat this :


I want something special. Something new. Something good. 


So I went to The Good Batch@Damansara Uptown. This place has been around for a while and I have been passing by frequently with nary a thought of stepping inside.

I had already decided what I wanted after checking out the menu online. Instead of my usual iced Americano, I chose the Aussie Iced Latte (with Ice Cream).


The coffee ice cream is rather sweet. Thankfully, the latte is unsweetened and that offset the very sweet ice cream nicely.


I ordered from the All-Day Breakfast menu and what do you know, you can have ice cream for breakfast.

The perfect anti-deppressent.

My Fancy FrenchFrench toast sticks with a homemade coconut-pandan sauce, dark-chocolate cookie soil, red velvet crumble and a scoop of premium vanilla ice-cream.


Does that look celebratory or what? Ice cream with coffee and ice cream with French toast. You can never have too much ice cream, if you ask me.

The very thick and fluffy French toast was complemented beautifully by the very fragrant and delicious coconut-pandan sauce. The cookie crumbs provided texture and  crunch. I absolutely adore this awesome breakfast. It's a breakfast and dessert all-in-one. And in case anyone is asking, yes, I polished off all the mint too.

By the way, if you are interested, The Good Batch turns 4 this year and they are holding a party on 8th October 2017. Party coupons are on sale now at RM40.00 if purchased this week but next week the the price is RM50.00 (as I was informed by the very friendly server). Too bad it is on a Sunday as Sunday is my very busy day at home.

While I was enjoying my meal, I received birthday wishes from my other brother. How nice, he remembered :) And so did my cousin.

Well, that was an awesome birthday brunch and I am glad I made the decision to visit The Good Batch.

56 comments:

  1. Happy birthday PH....50 still young

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nasa :) Have to awet muda hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, PH ^_^

    Eh, I should remind you - Happy 50th Birthday, PH ~_^

    No wonder I cannot 'detect' your age since you always act sweet 18 ... By the way, I should start calling you 'Kak PH' lah, to be more polite. Hahaha!

    When I was younger, I always call others (who look like 'kakak' to me) 'Kak'. But when I m getting older, I try to stop calling other women 'Kak' lah since I feel like somehow, they are more or less my age. Rasa macam intimidating pulak if you keep calling others 'Kak! Kak!' and people staring at you like "Weyh, aku sebaya kaulah! Apa kes berkakak-kakak ni?' Hahaha!

    That's what happened to one of my colleagues here. I didn't know at first that she is 12 years older than me so I always call her by name only; until one day, another colleague told me that she is actually 12 years older than me. I can't simply call her 'Kak' since I get used to call her by her name *_*

    And for my younger colleagues, I already warned them not to call me 'makcik', 'aunty', 'ah so' and whatever unless they want to get a slap ^_^ Just call me 'kak' will do, call my name pun takpa. I lagi suka kalau they treat me like I'm always in my 20s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MD! No lah, no need to call me Kak, OK? Buat biasa. I am very informal. Nanti panggil Kak, I feel old pulak >.<

      BTW, I have always wondered, in Malay society, how do you know when to call someone Kak or Bang? It is not easy to determine someone's age just from looks, right? I once called a classmate Kak and she corrected me hee..hee... Though I am one or two years younger than my uni mates due to express class and matriculation.

      Anyway, as long as some kid dose not call me aunty or makcik, I am fine hah..hah...

      Delete
  3. Have a happy and blessed birthday dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay young, stay sweet and wishing you a Happy and Blessed 50th Birthday, Phong Hong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated 50th birthday! Love your sweet breakfast! ah now you can compare the french toasts between this one and the one at Ra.Ft and common man roasters cafe! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mun! Yes, must make my way to those two places soon.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday PH.
    Can withdraw EPF money dy. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lina! hah..hah.. I still want to keep my "simpanan untuk hari tua" LOL!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday PH. Age is just a number. Be happy and stay young :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Phong Hong. Good to treat yourself a something you really enjoy. Age is just a number.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday and many happy returns Phong Hong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear PH, wishing you a very very happy birthday this year, next year and many more years to go~
    PS: I've just tried your cheddar cheese recipe yesterday and it was a big success! TQ for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Choi Yen! Glad to hear your cake was a success!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations and happy birthday! You know how to celebrate - that French toast is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! The French toast was awesome!

      Delete
  12. Happy belated 50, and here’s to many more years of good times and good meals with family and friends! ;) btw, some people ‘sound’ their age online, but if I had to guess, I’d have guessed you were in your 30s or early 40s (like me)! Guess it’s the youthful vitality in your spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sean! And a big thank you for the compliments hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday PH!

    So sweet of your parents. I'm touched. May you are blessed with good health, wealth and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Puan Hazel! My parents love me and I tear up every time I think of that.

      Delete
  14. Happy birthday!!! Aiyor!!! You're so young!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Phong Hong!!
    50 is not old, can still do many things like the 30s :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! Yes, must think young hah..hah...

      Delete
  16. You can be considered my little sister, my dear, being only 50. Blessings and may you be forever happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear sister! I still feel like a kid sometimes :)

      Delete
  17. Happy happy happy birthday to you Phong Hong! May good blessing and wishes keep coming onto you.... wishing you good health and happiness at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy birthday cheh cheh PH....i dont think you can't remember your age, but accountants just like to add and subtract huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear cousin LC! Actually I am very bad at maths hah..hah..

      Delete
  19. Happy Bezday LL....
    Mesti malam ni celebrate dengan boyfriend kan hihi...Jangan lupa up entri candle light dinner esok tau!

    Ohhh....sebaknya i baca bila your parent wish tu. Yelah kan... walau berapa umur anak diaorang pun dia tetap rasa kita ni masih kecik huhu....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hainom! LL ni tak senonoh betul. Dah 50an masih berboyfriend lagi hah..hah...

      Ye lah, sebak bila terkenang parents masih sayang kat kita macam time kecik2 dulu. Syukur!

      Delete
  20. Look 30, feel 18, act like 2...you're as 'young' as you feel...that's all that matters, age is just a number...hihihi! :D Happy belated birthday, my dear. Oh, I see you finally made it to The Good Batch. You can have two ice creams...it's your birthday...we won't judge! ;) If I remember correctly, this will be your solo celebration...there'll be another one with your partner and one with your brother coming up? Hehe! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris! I'd like to stay young always hah..hah.. Yes, I'm happy with The Good Batch. Will make more visits soon. You got that right, another two more celebrations to go hee..hee...

      Delete
  21. Before I forget, wish you SWEET 50TH BIRTHDAY, PHONG HONG!! No worries, I am still ahead of you no matter what.. hahaha... Yes, please pamper yourself on this special day.. no chap farn please.. hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire! You are my big sister :)

      Delete
  22. Hello Young Girl. Wishing you the Best & Happiest Birthday and May God Bless you with good health & plenty of food everyday till eternity.

    What 50? Is that a lie or typo error for 25? Judging from the selipar Jepun stunt at Ritz Carlton, your smooth no bulu & flawless tauhu feet was like a girl just turned 25.

    Happy Birthday Ah Hong Chee.

    #Tipu50 #KakiNoBulu25 #5025EmpatEkor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, TM! You never fail to make me laugh and put a smile on my face! Aiya feet only looks 25 hee...hee...

      Delete
  23. Happy Birthday PH, age doesn't matter as long as you are young at heart and so sweet of your parents to send you a card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby! Yes, must think young :)

      Delete
  24. Happy belated Birthday Phong Hong. Hope you've had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Veronica! After all that ice cream, I felt great hee..hee..

      Delete
  25. Happy Belated Birthday greetings, Phong Hong. Mine was 3 days earlier. Simple birthday with my family and feeling happy with many wishes from family, friends, colleagues and cousins. It's the thought that counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kimmy! Oh, you are also a September baby! Happy Belated Birthday to you too! I am glad you had a wonderful birthday with family and friends.

      Delete
  26. Happy sweet birthday, Phong Hong. 50 is very young. A long way before you can join the senior citizens like me! Its your birthday, eat and enjoy! Yummy ice cream desserts cum breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy! Let's just say 50 is the new 15 LOL!

      Delete
  27. Happy belated birthday PH. I have been away so the reason for the very late wishes. Hope you had a ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kamal! Better late than never, eh?

      Delete